Lake Erie (/ˈɪəri/; French: Lac Érié) is the fourth-largest lake (by surface area) of the five Great Lakes in North America, and the thirteenth-largest globally if measured in terms of surface area. It is the southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes.
Western Lake Erie Islands & Shore Side Destinations
- Toledo Beach Marina:
- Sandbar&Grille: Enjoy casual dockside dining overlooking Lake Erie in the relaxing marina atmosphere of the SandBar Grille.
- Grab&Go: Located next to the Rack n’ Launch center, the Grab n‘ Go is a convenient way to load up on provision.
- North Cape Yacht Club: This is my club and where s/v Adventure stays at dock A3, just across from the Sandbar&Grille!
- Put-in-Bay Parks: Three nice parks
- Put-in-Bay Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Bureau:
- Trip Advisor: Things to do in Put-in-Bay!
- Kelleys Island State Park and Campground: Captain Mike loves the area!
- Kelleys Island Chamber of Commerce
- Trip Advisor: Things to do on Kelleys Island, Great place for a getaway! It’s one of Captain Mike’s favorite!
- Marinas: Nice places.
West Sister Island (National Wildlife Refuge)
This 82 acre island is jointly owned by the United States Coast Guard and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. There is a lighthouse on the westernmost point. The island was used for artillery practice during World War II and before that was a popular stop for bootleggers during Prohibition. Divers might be interested in searching for lost cargo on the bottom of the lake around the island. And was featured in a 2007 episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe cleaning up bird bodily discharges.
Public access is permitted for research only. But you really wouldn’t want to go too far anyway, as most of the island ground cover is poison ivy.
Middle Sister Island (Canada)
East Sister Island / Provincial Park (Canada)
Little Chicken, Big Chicken, Chick, and Hen Islands
North Bass Island / Isle St George
Green Island (Whitehouse)
Middle Bass Island
South Bass Island
Pelee Island (Canada)
Last but not least, Cedar Point, the roller coast capital of the world.